The last couple of weekends, when I haven’t been obsessing over new & inventive ideas to get rid of my butt – I’ve been enjoying myself with little bitty rings. I managed to get a few new pieces up on Etsy.
It’s all very exciting, as it’s Madame Maillestrom’s Etsy debut! Naturally, I had to pick a cool name for the mannequin – something crazy and edgy. Now that I’ve got the name, it’s only a matter of time before her personality becomes apparent (in my head, at least). I think she’s slightly fuming over having a blanket over her head when not employed (S tends to freak out over human analogues – so I have to keep the ‘fair Madame under wraps unless she’s working), and has mentioned the need for a wig now and again…
I’ve wanted to do an asymmetrical necklace for a while. They’re unusual & kind of crazy…just like me. They also slide around your neck. The trick, I think, is to weigh down the apex point. With this incarnation of the Green Goddess, I didn’t do that – so it does a fair amount of sliding around. I’m sure I’ll go back to this design soon, and figure out a way to weigh down the end I want DOWN.
A lot of the build on this one was fairly simple. Half-Persian 3 in 1 is the pattern for the long chain, and is pretty easy to weave once you get it started. A shorter length of 3 in 1 is between the two crystals.
I slipped a length of Half-Persian 4 in 1 between the crystals for a bit of contrast. 4 in 1, especially with those TINY rings, is a multiple four-letter-word, I need a few more hands starter – but like it’s cousin 3 in 1, is an easy to replicate pattern once you’ve stabilized the chain.
Below the crystals is a length of spiral 4 in 1. That chain was made from some leftover enameled copper rings in a different green & brown. I absolutely LOVE this color combination – I keep calling it my dark chocolate mint combo.
Which reminds me – my stash of those rings is getting low. Might have to place a new order…
So now, I’m up to the crystals.
As these are the focal, they had to be special. For starters, I went name-brand. Genuine Swarovski Rivoli’s. I have a build in my arsenal already to make stars out of chainmaille – and I modified this build to create the rivoli cage. There are no glues or adhesives or wires to hold the crystals in place – only the tension of the weave.
And tension there is. The last few rings are a real pain in the (hopefully deflating) backside to slide into place and close…but totally worth the end result. The rings used on these 2 are more of the main chain’s green, interspersed with pure copper.
I finished her off with a sterling silver hook I found at my local bead shop, and a largish aluminum ring to hook into.
All in all, I’d she’s a beauty to behold. Total build time was around 3 hours, total ring count is approximately 520 rings.