Look…I made a thing!
I have to admit – I dithered over purchasing this tutorial for the focal, called a Conjure Pendant, for about a month. This weekend, I finally caved in and ordered it.
Now, I have two sides to buying tutorials for crafting stuff. On the one side, I like to support someone else’s creative endeavors. Not only are these people taking the time to craft a new way of weaving little metal rings together, but they’ve also dropped creation to take multiple photos and write up the do’s and don’ts of their particular creation.
I wrote out a tutorial once – it’s a whole ‘nother brand of insanity.
But…on the other side of random internet purchases…I hate to buy tutorials because I may not have the rings or stones on hand, which means a delay of a week or more to get rings in from TRL, or time and more temptation running to the beading shop in Brookfield, or just putting the tutorial in one of my files for ‘stuff I gotta get around to…’
That file is starting to get a bit large…
I’m blaming the chainmaillers group I belong to on Facebook for the purchase of the tutorial. Too many people were posting too many pendants, earrings, and other bits and bobs featuring the Conjure pendant for me to resist the urge to get the damn thing and make some of my own.
So, I caved, and hit the purchase button on Saturday.
I HAVE RINGS IN THE RIGHT SIZE!!!!!!!!!!
*Insert celebratory dance here*
Out of respect to the author of the tutorial – I won’t go into detail on how I built the Conjure unit. Once the pattern is in the hands, though – the units go together nice & smooth. By the time I was on the 3rd pendant, I was fully ‘off’ the tutorial, and weaving in a way that made more sense to my own personal pair of hands.
Now that I had three little fully-encased gems – it was time for some fun.
First, I attached the three units together with short lengths of byzantine on either side. Sure, I could have connected the units together with a single ring between the pairs, but what fun is that? And I like the bubble effect it gives between the units.
I tried to craft a length of hoodoo for the chain – but that failed rather spectacularly. I’ll just add hoodoo to the list of ‘stuff I gotta get around to.’
See…that list grows even with the right rings in stock…
But…I do know E4-1 quite well, and the sidewalls on the Conjure pendants were spaced like the pendant was created specifically to fit into an E4-1 sheet with my ring sizes in mind.
I just love when things work out like this 😀
I even struck gold on the clasp. A couple of months ago, I bought a tube clasp for a different project. That clasp turned out to be way too small for that project, and has been languishing in my parts bin since. It fits this choker PERFECTLY.
So much for getting anything else done Sunday – I spent pretty much the entire day on this build.